dinsdag 17 juli 2012

A tribute to my green shoes

A little more than one year ago I needed new shoes. As a real man I would never be able to pick out a fashionable pair of shoes by myself, so I invited a female colleague to come with me to help pick the right pair of shoes. She was flattered to become my personal fashion advisor and one evening after work we went to the shopping mall together to find me those ideal shoes. We had visited some cheaper stores already with no success when we entered a store with the more expensive brands. Without a doubt my fashion advisor chose a pair of green Skechers. These would be the perfect shoes for me, she said. I liked the shoes and tried them on, but wasn't sure about the bright colors. Moreover, I was not used to buying shoes that cost more than 40 euros at that time, so I said I'd think about it and went home without buying any shoes. In the days that followed I couldn't stop thinking about these shoes though, so a few days later I went back to the store and bought the green shoes.

That proved to be a very good decision. For the first time in my life my friends complimented me on my shoes, pretty girls on the street didn't look away any more after checking me out from top to toe and also the shoes were also really comfortable. In the months after that me and my shoes were inseparable. Together we travelled all over the world. We had walked around in no less than 15 different countries until they let me down for the first time on a rainy day in Macedonia: their laces broke. At that time I realised that my shoes were getting old and that maybe it was time for them to retire.

I decided to give them one last honor by taking them with me on my trip to Africa. In Tanzania my good old green shoes were functioning as working shoes. As it was a bit muddy there sometimes, the shoes were dirty by the end of the second week and I would probably never be able to wear them again under normal circumstances. I was considering throwing them away to have a less heavy backpack for the rest of my journey.

At the last day of the workcamp I was ready to take one last picture of them to say goodbye, but I hesitated. How could I throw away these shoes that had been so loyal to me on all my travels? I thought about all the memories we had shared together. A tear was rolling down my cheek while I was standing there with my camera in my hand. 
"No, I won't leave these shoes behind," I said to myself. I will take this picture, post it on my blog and then I will write a tribute to my green shoes to thank them for what they've done for me. Because a pair of shoes can actually change your life.

Just ask Cinderella.


1 opmerking: