zondag 27 februari 2011

Some observations about the Czechs

After two weeks of radio silence, it is now time for a new blog. Again, I don't really feel like talking about what I have been up to (ok, a quick summary then: I have survived a fire in my flat, ate oysters for the first time of my life, played soccer outside in -5 degrees Celsius in just a t-shirt and been to some pretty awesome parties), no, I will write about Czech people once more.

This time I will not only talk about my own experiences, but I will use the Xenophobe's guide to the Czechs, that I bought this weekend, because lately I am really trying to understand Czech people, as a foundation. To me, the things that were mentioned in that little book were very recognizable. So here's a list of observations from my guide to the Czechs. My comments will be in brackets. :)

1) Czech Republic has the highest beer consumption per person in the world (ok, no surprise there, with all the cheap and good beer that is available here)
2) When asked "If you had to choose another country to live in, what would it be?", most Czechs would answer Slovakia. (very adventurous people, those Czechs)
3) Czechs consider themselves to have a good cuisine (muahahaha!)
4) Pets, unlike the elderly, are regarded as a full member of the family (probably this is not true for farm animals, considering the fact that they usually end up in goulash and are being eaten with dumplings; I can't imagine any worse way to end up)
5) Czech men are not afraid to wear socks in sandals and some are even proud of wearing their sandals this way (yup, I've seen it happen, even young people do it here...)
6) A girl would respond better to a guy saying something nice about her dog than to a compliment about her looks (interesting, I'm gonna try that out)
7) Czechs have over 30 words for "making love (just a pity I can't pronounce any of them...)

So I hope these facts have given you more insight in what kind of people I am surrounded with. The book also said that Czech people are always prepared to argue about anything, so I'm looking forward to some nice discussions about this post. :)

Have a good week!

3 opmerkingen:

  1. That thing about socks and sandals is disgusting to me! Grrr. Fashion buzzkill. So true about the beer though! I like Czech beer as well! (:

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. pivo? in Polish it's piwo xP close (: but you're right... it's the best! (:

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen