dinsdag 7 juni 2011

Trip to the Baltics & Poland - Part 3&4: Kaunas, Warsaw & Ostrava

Part 3: Kaunas

The 2.5 days that I spent in Kaunas can be summarized by two words: absolutely amazing. I was busy all the time with meeting new people and really got to see the best side of the city.

When I arrived in Kaunas after a 5.5 hour bus ride from Riga (which is really not something I would recommend on the hottest day of the year) I would meet up with a girl named EglÄ— and one of her friends straight away. I had just enough time to drop off my backpack at the hostel and freshen up a little bit before they would pick me up to visit a sports event by the medical university. After watching some of the games, we went to a nearby lake with some more friends for a swim and some mosquito bites and we ended the night on a viewing point over the whole city, where we could watch a storm above Kaunas.

The next day I met up with my good friend Rima, who I already know for almost 2 years. Together, we visited pretty much all places in Kaunas that are worth visiting, ate some Lithuanian food (but no cold soup) and had some fun taking pictures of eachother together with some very friendly statues. Even though she had an exam the next day, we stayed together till 5 in the afternoon, which was highly appreciated by me. :)

The next morning I met up with AgnÄ—, who has not been my penpal for so long yet, but I certainly had a very enjoyable time with her. We had some Lithuanian food at the same place I was the day before (still no cold soup for me), went to a church where I burnt my thumb trying to light a candle and visited some musea. I was a bit sad when she had to leave in the afternoon, but luckily I was able to arrange another meetup in the evening, with someone I met on CouchSurfing. After that, it was time to go clubbing in Kaunas with the owners of the hostel and two other guests from the hostel: a girl from China and a man from Alaska. It was a very nice way to end my short stay in Kaunas.

Right now, I think Kaunas is a city full of amazing people and my days there were definitely the best days of my trip, and maybe even of my life. I really hope I can go back there soon.

Part 4: Warsaw

The day that I had to leave Kaunas and Lithuania had arrived. I had a weird feeling, because I would have liked to stay there for a longer time. So I took the train to Warsaw. I had to change trains in a small Lithuanian village, which I, with my passion for small villages abroad, really liked. After a train ride that lasted in total for 8 hours I arrived in Warsaw, totally exhausted from the boring trip and still feeling the lack of sleep from the night before. Despite of that, I still went out that evening with my CS-host Mateusz and some of his friends, but this time it didn't get so late.

During my stay in Warsaw we did some traditional sightseeing, visited an impressive museum about the second world war in Poland and in the evening we chilled in a park, violating the Polish law that forbids to drink beer in public places. I still believe that such a law is ridiculous, but who am I to judge that..

The final stop of my travel would not be Katowice, as just before my travel started the friend I would meet there had to cancel our meetup. Luckily I was able to find a very good alternative: I could meet my friend Petra from Ostrava instead, for the first time. After a funny situation when I texted her where I was while she was standing right behind me, we went sightseeing in the city and afterwards she took me to a very nice tearoom/loungebar where we had a drink together. After that, we went to a park where I pretty much forced her to be on a picture with me, so I would have a photo with everyone that I met up with during my travel.

At 8 o'clock it was time for me to take the last train home and around midnight I got back to Prague safely, with a lot of great memories on my mind and an extremely satisfied feeling. I had done it. I had finished my first journey alone with just a backpack and a list of people I would meet up with. I can't wait to do such a trip again next year!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten