zaterdag 27 november 2010

Day trip to Kutná Hora

Winter is rapidly approaching here in Czech Republic. That's why I decided I'd better go on another trip before it gets too cold to do that. The destination this time was Kutná Hora: a small town around 60 kilometers away from Prague. I got up early this morning so I could arrive there before noon. It had been snowing a bit the night before, which was promising for the quality of my pictures.

Kutná Hora must be a very touristic place in the summer, considering the fact that even at this time of year there were quite a few Americans (recognizable by their incredibly American accent while trying to pronounce Czech words) and Asians wandering around. And I must say, it is quite a nice place. The cathedral is amazing, although it's hard to capture it in all its glory on a photo taken from the ground. This is my sad attempt:



Also the square in the center is very beautiful:



This is the square where I had lunch in a pizzeria that was recommended to me by a friend who had been to the exact same place a few years ago. The pizza was quite ok, a bit too little tomato sauce for my taste, but the ingredients were very fresh. The hair that I found stuck in the cheese ruined it a bit though.

So early in the afternoon I had seen pretty much all I wanted to see, so I just started walking around a bit through the less poetic places of Kutná Hora. After concluding this was a bit boring, I remembered the so-called "bone church" one of my colleagues had told me about one day earlier. I was able to find it without much trouble and went inside. The entrance was already very unusual:



It turns out that the area around this church was very popular to be buried in a few centuries ago. The cemetary was over 3000m2. However, the town decided they needed more ground and removed most of the graves of the cemetary. They found it a bit irrespectful to just throw away all those bones, so therefore they hired an artist to make art with the bones. And the following two pictures show how creative you can be with old skeletons:




So after having walked some more through the suburbs of Kutná Hora, where I accidentally stumbled on a big Christmas market, it was time to go home. There was no direct connection for two hours though, so I just went on a train in the right direction and got off in Kolín. Instead of waiting 30 minutes at a boring train station, I went to explore this town. I found out that Kolín is not so special, but it has a nice shopping mall that is large enough to make one forget the time and miss the train to Prague. Luckily the connection between Kolín and Prague is, for Czech standards, excellent, so I got home safely in the end, after yet another great trip within Czech Republic. :)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten