vrijdag 10 september 2010

First update from Prague

I arrived in Prague at night. From the air it is absolutely an amazing city. It’s huge, and the lights are so beautiful from above. Almost all in the same color, and in different shapes as well. I think I even saw a couple of lights shaped like a Christmas tree. After the landing, I had to wait very long for my luggage to arrive. I felt a bit ashamed, because I knew someone from the local AIESEC committee was waiting for me. But finally I got my bag and went outside to meet Martin, who will be my so-called buddy during my stay in Prague. He would take me to my house in Rajská Zahrada (to my Czech readers: please forgive me if I do any accents wrong on this blog). However, Rajská was on the total other side of Prague than the airport and it took us over 1 hour to get there by public transportation. So it was already quite late when we arrived. However, I could still meet two of the other trainees living in the house: a Dutch guy working for the same company as I will and a Russian girl. They both were very nice, but they couldnt talk for too long, since they had to work the next morning, so I went to my room after a short talk.

So here I am now, lying on my bed in my new home. It’s my first night in Prague and I already feel at home here. My room is nice and big, although I do have to share it with one Mexican guy who is not here at the moment, since he “uses a different clock than normal people”. The only thing missing from my new home is internet. There seems to be something wrong with our provider. That’s quite unfortunate, since I am a bit of an internet addict. But I will make the most of it, and maybe it’s good that I don’t have internet right now, because that gives me the opportunity to meet some people here in Prague. And it will be easier to force myself to go to bed early, because I have to get up at 7 in the morning from next week.
Another positive thing about this room is that we have an air mattress, so it’s possible to invite someone over. That was an unexpected surprise, since at first I expected my room to be so small that I could barely store all my stuff in it. But at the moment the air mattress is serving as a curtain. That’s a bit new to me, a bedroom with no curtains. But it should not really be a big problem, because I have to get up early anyway. :)

Tomorrow I will go into the city to arrange the last few things I need to do (get a subscription for public transportation here, get a Czech bank account, etc.) and then it will be weekend. Since my Dutch housemate who arrived here two weeks ago also hasn’t explored the city yet, we will go do that together. However, the first thing we will do in the weekend will be a trip to the shopping center in Cerný Most. People say they have a free wireless internet connection there. Heaven. That will undoubtedly be our favorite part of the day.

PS. In case you were wondering how I posted this blog: I wrote most of it last night, stored it on my USB-stick and now I am at the other trainee flat, where they do have internet, so I can post it online. You have to be a bit creative if you want to keep a blog updated without an internet connection at home. :)

1 opmerking:

  1. You're definitely creative, that's for sure. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Prague. This city seems like a perfect fit for you. Both modern and old, and like you wrote in your last entry - close to your personal favourite Eastern Europe :) You're gonna love it!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen